Honestly this post is best left to the pictures rather than any words I can come up with to describe what an awesome afternoon we spent at Ramp Fest 2013 in Hudson, NY.
—-Ramp : Allium tricoccum (commonly known as ramp, ramps, spring onion, ramson, wild leek, wood leek, and wild garlic) is an early spring vegetable, a perennial wild onion with a strong garlic-like odor and a pronounced onion flavor. Ramps are found across eastern North America, from the U.S. state of South Carolina to Canada. They are popular in the cuisines of the rural uplands of the American South, and also in the Canadian province of Quebec. Ramps also have a growing popularity in upscale restaurants throughout North America.
The Pictures below are shown in the order we ate them (mostly). All descriptions will be Counter Clockwise from top left corner around to top right corner.
- CRAWFISH REMOULADE W/HICKORY SMOKED RAMPS, SEA ISLAND PURPLE CAPE BEANS
- CRISPY MORCILLA, RAMP KIMCHEE, RAMP ASH
- RAMPS, YOLK, MUSHROOMS, NORI
- RAMP GNOCCHI w/MEDITERRANEAN SAUCE CHILLED RAMP SOUP
- SMOKED PORK CARNITA w/PICKLED RAMP STEMS. RAMP SALSA VERDE
- HAIGA RICE & BARLEY w/RAMP a MUSTARD GREENS, LEMON, TOASTED SESAME SEEDS, MAITAKE, RAW MACKEREL & RAMP OIL
- WILD BLUEBERRY FLAPJACK SANDWICH STUFFED WITH MAPLE RAMP SAUSAGE
- MEDITERRANEAN SFEEFA (MEAT PIE) w/MEILLER FARM ZATAR SPICED LAMB RAGU W/ PICKLED RAMPS
- SEMOLINA RAMP BISCUIT w/PULLED RABBIT, RAMP AGRODULCE
- TEA SANDWICH BF PORK LOMO, RADISH, MINT & RAMP AIOLI
- CHARRED RAMP W/ CAROLINA RICE CUSTARD, RAMP PESTO
- VICHYSSOISE w/RAMP OIL
- RAMP BIALY W/RAMP LEAF CREAM CHEESE, RAMP-CURED GRAVLAX, PICKLED RAMP, RAMP RELISH
- RAMP RISOTTO
- BEEF CARPACCIO, RAMP COULIS, PICKLED RAMP
- GIN & RAMP TONIC W/ SMALL TASTE OF SOMETHING -which turned out to be a delicious sliced proscuitto
- SOCCA CREPE, LAMBS TONGUE, GRILLED RAMP ROMESCO SAUCE
- SMOKED BLUEFISH WITH PICKLED RAMPS, CREME FRAICHE ON A CHIP
- HANDMADE MOZZARELLA, RAMP SALSA VERDE, PRESERVED LEMON, CHARRED SOURODUBH, OLIVE OIL
All of the dishes were prepared by local restaurants and I can say I enjoyed almost all of them. A few I sampled and can say I have had it but probably wouldn’t go out of my way to have it again. Along with all of the food porn there was quite a bit of eye candy and a celebrity sighting (T. R. Knight from Grey’s Anatomy).
I am very much looking forward to going to Ramp Fest Hudson 2014!